Saturday 1 November 2014

Brian Potters' glass

Apologies for this reference. Only a few will get that! Brian Potter is a Peter Kay character who runs the Phoenix Club in Bolton, a working men's club that is doomed from the start. It is an ill fated club that suffers from a fire, then subsequently rises (Phoenix like!) to become a 'success' once again. As part of the fire that ravaged the club, the main character, Brian Potter, the clubs owner, ends up using a burnt vase as his drinking vessel of choice. 
And so it was today that Clare labelled me as Brian Potter, as the glass I usually take my vino from fell in a tragic washing up incident. I watched as the glass fell in slow motion towards the tiled floor........then........bounced upward with the quality that only an acrylic wine 'glass' has. Sadly though, there was a gorge-like crack down one side. Sadness fell upon the camp (dramatic reconstruction!), but I set about resolving the issue. With matches, a candle and some imagination, I set about restoring the glass to its former glory. As the pictures taken by Jasper show the process was painstaking, delicate and akin to remodelling a Roman jug. 

The results were stunning though.
The vessel is repaired, seemlessly so, you'd never know it had broken. It holds wine, I can drink out of it, therefore it is fine. So for today, I have been Brian Potter. My glass has been resurrected and the problem solved. No money expended on a new one. Let's be honest now, I'm on Lidl wine, so the glass makes no difference at all at the moment!

For all of those who are wondering who Brian Potter is still, 'Phoenix Nights' is the programme to watch. Amazingly funny!
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment