Sunday 16 November 2014

Squeaky new shoes

One of us has new shoes. 
One of us has new shoes that squeak with newness.
One of us is very happy about it.
One of us has super comfortable feet now.
One of us isn't gloating though.
One of us will not be having any more shoes for the trip though.
One of us won't be slip sliding anymore.
A Roman treat for dear old Hugo. We entered the north side of Rome and took on the road network and Roman drivers to try and get him some new boots. We had had a long and 'thoughtful' day and so were physically and emotionally tired, but the looming window of 15th November had meant that Hugo needed new boots ready for the Italian winter by law. An eventful struggle with no Satnav and relying on Italian road signs eventually led us to follow our noses from my research the previous day, to find the tyre place. It was on an impossible road too. In addition, to this, the forecourt was just madness. People pulling in, driving off, parking 3 or 4 deep at all angles. I stayed safe and parked up the road whilst doing the negotiating. Jasper and I handled the negotiations well and I seemed to have been placed on a clipboard list under the name 'Cooper'. Eventually my time came. I was dutifully beckoned to get the van and return to the yard, where a space was saved. I did so and returned. I managed to block the Roman asphalt in all directions as the forecourt was full when I returned. I sat broadside in the traffic with horns honking and people waving. I think they were waving? Eventually, after a few minutes of traffic stalemate, I was guided into the forecourt of the 'Gommister'. Hugo was then treated to his new shoes, all tyres including the spare were thoroughly checked and then it was time to depart. 
At this point I asked for assistance. I reversed out onto the road with 2/3 tyre men flapping around in all directions. For the second time in an hour I had managed to block  the Roman capital....well at least this part of it! After having made so many Roman friends on the roads I gve a cheery pip of the horn in reply to their waving and beeping, and made my way to collect Clare and Maya who had had their own personal dramas in the supermarket. Thankfully, we are now safe, secure and looking forward to a rest, a birthday, and some Roman history!
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment