Thursday 13 November 2014

Cheap wine!

I am not about to share my thoughts about how much wine I have drunk, nor admit to drinking too much (because I don't), but feel it relevant to share my growing worldly knowledge on wine and the relevance of this on the trip. Before you close this down and stop reading, bear with me, I shalln't be getting tediously boring.
We have drunk wines from various regions, and obviously various countries. We have bought wines at the barn door all the way down to Lidl wine. People have told me what a good wine is. People have told me which ones are bad. But to be honest and frank, of all the wines we have drunk, I can't really remember any of them. They may have a 'fruity' fragrance, or have a 'hint of melons' or be all grown from a grape that has been passed down for umpteen generations, or may have been grown in the perfect altitude, but I am a person for whom none of that really matters. We bought a box of cheap Lidl wine for €6 (approximately £4.80). It wasn't particularly great, nor was it particularly bad, but it was fine for what we wanted, an end of evening 'something'. I must say that we do like "good" wines, but just because someone says it's good, it doesn't mean it's good for us. 
And so this trip is like a regular wine that we have stumbled upon. Some of it is good, some of it is 'less good' but that doesn't really matter. Even the less good stuff contributes to a greater understanding. You need the less good stuff to happen, you need the less good wines. For us though, the simple things as well as the bigger touristy stuff is as much important as each other. Survival may be the objective at the moment, so a cheap Lidl wine is all that is needed!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment