Monday 24 November 2014

The Littlest Hobo

A bit of nostaglia here for me, but some of you may remember the kids TV series 'The Littlest Hobo', all about a stray dog that befriends someone in America then teaches them a lesson in life (not like Flipper who just squeaked his way to to alert the next danger).
It was a great series that I have been reminded of over our last few weeks in Italy. The stray dogs keep popping up all over the place. They were even up Vesuvius where I passed a couple of labradors that had taken over a ramshackled restaurant and had made it there own. I'm not kidding, a lovely place for two dogs I thought.Anyway, I was reminded again today as we stopped on our journey for lunch. A small thing (sorry, not good with the makes of dog!) was giving us sad eyes and all that sort of stuff. Didn't wash with me mind. He's not getting my cheese and bread!For those that remember the TV series, it had such a memorable song. I suspect that many of you may now Itunes it to see what it sounds like again. To help you on your way it's by 'Terry Bush and it's called Maybe tomorrow.' The lyrics are a bit like where we are at though at the moment. Here you go:



There's a voice that keeps on calling me                              (that's Clare)
Down the road, that's where I'll always be.                          (new roads all the time!)
Every stop I make, I make a new friend,                             (done that loads ....met some lovely people)
Can't stay for long, just turn around and I'm gone again        (always the next place to get to)
Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,                            (Yep, would be nice to stop for a bit!)
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.                              (not quite there yet)
Down this road that never seems to end,                             (that was Spain, blooming massive long roads)
Where new adventure lies just around the bend.                  (lots of that too!)
So if you want to join me for a while,                                  (so who's going to have a go at this? Anyone inspired?)
Just grab your hat, come travel light, that's hobo style.         ( Apparently you only need a hat)
Maybe tomorrow I'll want to settle down,                            (he's alreay said this...)
Until tomorrow, the whole world is my home.
So if you want to join me for a while,                                  ( and this....yep, you only need a hat!)
Just grab your hat, come travel light, that's hobo style
Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,                           (he was struggling for lyrics at this point)
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.
Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,                           ( if a lyric is good, keep singing it)
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.
There's a world that's waiting to unfold,                              (We've realised this)  
A brand new tale no-one has ever told.                               (Oh yes!)
We've journeyed far far and know it won't be long;              (6500 miles, around 4000 to go)
We're almost there, and we've paid our fare with our hobo song. (Almost there.....we've done 4 months, when will it end?)
Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down,                            (It's a good lyric but ....)
Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.
So if you want to join me for a while,                                    (ditto)
Just grab your hat, come travel light, that's hobo style.
Maybe tomorrow, I'll find what I call home, Until tomorrow, you know I'm free to roam

So there you go, a bit of nostalgia from me. Apologies, but the dog reminded me of it earlier. The lyrics weren't as inspirational as I remember but there you go. i've enjoyed finding it and listening back to it. You might too. if you have no idea about anything I have written then you can a) ignore it as waffle or b) google it in the hope that it may furnish you with pub quiz info.
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment